On my birthday no less....Running toilet peculator would be the best way to describe the sound I heard when I walked through the door this past Wednesday. I couldn't figure out where the sound was coming from, but it was definitely a chorus of sorts. Quickly I zeroed-in on the culprit- the hot water heater. A nice pool of water made the sub floor look like a sponge. Before you could say Batman, my fingers dialed Steve. He suggested that I check out the garage (the water heater is directly above the garage).
As I walked down the stairs wondering what I would find, I noticed water dripping down the exterior siding of our condo. Note how the wood by the stairs looks like its sucking up the moisture! Truly I didn't want to open the garage door, but we needed to know.
My eyes widened as it was clearly raining inside our garage! Pooling water was at my feet and I couldn't walk in without getting large drops of water pelting me. When I opened the large garage door, water flowed to freedom.
I didn't know how to turn the water heater off, so I placed the emergency call to dad. Quick as lightening, the water to the water heater was off and the overflow of water seemed to be subsiding. Thanks dad!
I placed this garbage can to catch some water- filled nearly half full in about twenty minutes!
Next day: Today I took a half day at work and had the big wigs come out. Assurance adjuster, home warranty company and the water restoration crew.
Though this is a bummer of a situation, there's a lot to be grateful for:
1. Daylight savings. Steve and had more sunshine to help while we cleared out the water. Plus the sunshine made it a little warmer (our first 70 degree day!).
2. It was a sunny day- today it snowed in Longmont and as in the 40's here in Denver.
3. The incident took place over the garage rather than our personal dwelling.
4. Our neighbors were not affected by water damage.
5. Though it's not how we wanted to spend our tax return, we're able to get things taken care of.
6. Everyone who needed to start the process was available- that's amazing!
7. Water restoration was able to come in the evening. (Good thing because it was starting to smell funky even after just a day.)
8. Our friends Brian and Nelisha our letting us take a shower at their place (convenient too because we're neighbors!)
9. We get a new water heater which will be more efficient!
10. No one was hurt.
11. Our belongings were okay because they were stored in plastic containers.
2 comments:
Wow, that sucks, but at least you didn't have a baby to lug around (yet) during the whole process. Boo for water damage. yea for getting it fixed so quickly!
Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Estabilizador e Nobreak, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://estabilizador-e-nobreak.blogspot.com. A hug.
Post a Comment