Thursday, January 3, 2008

San Fran

A skyline I've admired since I was a child, I've yet to find a replacement when it comes to cities (haven't' been to Europe yet and Vancouver BC is a runner up). The combination of hills, water and bridges, morning fog or evening lights is always a beautiful sight.

Memories as a child- I was really afraid of going across the bridge and believed that there would be a cataclysmic quake while we were on the bridge. The planetarium was an awesome field trip. When we'd go as a family, I liked to buy the trinkets at Pier 39 (if you know me now, it may be difficult to see me as a trinket investor). I'm grateful that my parents took us many places as we were growing up. Mom and I would go to fabric stores and outlets for school clothes or special occassion dresses. Brings back memories of college- driving to the city to avoid studying- driving purposefully to get lost to see what I could see- visiting friends- going to Flax for specialty paper... One of my favorite views of the city is off Angel Island at sunset. We didn't have time to stop as we were heading for the airport (and had stopped at Ikea for a kitchen light earlier).
Recent memories- Steve and I going to the bay to cool off from the valley heat. We were eating at a restaurant in a touristy area and every tourist that walked by stared at his crab. Found a fabulous candy store (a priority in life). Eating at the best ever Thai restaurant- Modern Thai. Sometimes we'd head over just for their great food. The first time we ate there I was trying to impress Steve and ate a Thai chili pepper- I couldn't taste anything the rest of the night. Eating at the Cha Cha Cha with Gyllian and Manuel and others- best sangria ever.

No comments: