Monday, July 30, 2007

Moving Days and American Consumerism

So I'm an "organized" sort of lady who thought she had her act together and could write an excerpt on moving 101. I figured that we had the token "moving sale" and had given enough away that we would have very little to transport to 5280. Nonetheless, the American gremlin of today, possessions, had already moved in, landed on Boardwalk and added hotels. Why is it that we choose to have such a senseless amount of “things”. Ultimately I believe we were active supporters of American consumerism. Good for the economy, but really, what do we have to show our abundance?

con·sum·er·ism
1. The concept that an ever-expanding consumption of goods is advantageous to the economy.
2. The fact or practice of an increasing consumption of goods.
3. Attachment to materialistic values or possessions.

As we settle into our new home, quite smaller, we proceed with a fresh perspective: do we really need _____? Our home will not be defined by increasing the number of possessions at hand, rather, by the collective experiences we share with one another. What defines your home at this moment?

No comments: